Friday, November 28, 2008

Roasted Butternut Squash, Purple Cauliflower and Celery Root with Sage

This Thanksgiving vegetable medley completely disappeared. In fact, we ran out of this one before my mother-in-law got to try it, so I should have had a bit more. I've never seen vegetables so popular ... I underestimated the number of plant-friendly people, I suppose.

This recipe, as I posted earlier, was partly a last minute brainstorm. It was originally to be squash and brussel sprouts, but as the sprouts were not available, the cauliflower and celery root stepped in nicely, thanks to my CSA.


Roasted Butternut Squash, Purple Cauliflower and Celery Root with Sage
Safflower oil spray
2 lb. butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed, and cut into 1 inch cubes
large purple cauliflower (we had a small one, but a large one would have been better), cut into 1-2 inch pieces
medium celery root (we had a small one, and again, a larger one would have been better), cut into 1 inch pieces
1 Tbsp dried, ground sage (you could use fresh, but I think dry works well here, so save your money)
salt and pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 400F.

Spray a casserole or glass baking dish with safflower oil. Combine all other ingredients in a bowl, and spoon into the prepared baking dish. Spray the vegetables with some additional safflower oil. Cover and bake for 40 minutes.

This dish is a good one to prepare a couple of days ahead. Reheat in the oven at 350F for 20-30 minutes. If not for company, I would have added some garlic to the mix, but I know that's not everyone's bag, so I didn't for company. Mmm ... roasted garlic!

No comments: