Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Lentil Soup

This recipe is directly out of a book that is, incredibly, still in print. I received it as a gift many moons ago, when I was in college, and I've found that it has a few recipes that I really like. They are almost all very simple, light, and healthy. Unfortunately, I don't have much opportunity to cook with shellfish, or I'd make much better use of this book. It's called Coastal New England: Summertime Cooking, by Sherri Eldridge.

Lentil Soup

1 lb. package lentils (green)
10 cups weak vegetable bouillon broth (I use 6 cups homemade veggie broth and 4 cups water)
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup peeled and diced carrots
1 cup diced celery
1 clove garlic (I use more like 3-4), minced
2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon curry
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (I often double this, just because I love cilantro)
1 1/2 cups chopped stewed tomatoes (diced or crushed canned tomatoes work well)
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons vinegar (I use white or red wine vinegar)

Rinse lentils in cold water. Combine all ingredients in a large covered pot (I reserve the cilantro for the last 5 minutes of cooking). Stirring occasionally, simmer about 3 hours, adding water if needed. Discard bay leaves. Adjust seasonings to taste (salt!!!). Serve hot.

No comments: