Monday, March 15, 2010

Sweet & Sour St. Patty's Day

I'm not in the least bit Irish, but my husband is a quarter Irish, which makes my kids an eighth Irish, so I'm out-numbered in my house. I need to do something to honor the day, but boiling corned beef and cabbage just isn't going to cut it. I would have actually made this recipe to include both corned beef and cabbage, but a pasture-raised corned beef eluded me, so I needed an alternative. I thought, Ah, Ireland must have plenty of sheep, and although mutton is fairly unheard of in this country, lamb certainly isn't. Alas, I couldn't find any lamb that would work either (I was looking for sausage). So, I settled on local, sustainably-raised pork sausage with cabbage.

This recipe might very well be the quickest (in prep time, not cook time) on this blog. It took me 10 minutes, if that, and then I turned the crock pot on and left the house. When I came home, dinner was ready and waiting. How do you like that?

Sweet & Sour St. Patty's Day
1 medium head green cabbage, shredded (sliced thinly)
1.5 lbs. fingerling potatoes
1 medium onion, sliced thinly
1/3 cup currants
1.5 lbs. lamb or pork savory sausage (avoid hot or sweet Italian sausage)
2 Tbsps. apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. honey
1/2 cup beer, hard apple cider, or apple wine
1 tsp. peppercorns
2 tsps. salt

Combine the cabbage, potatoes, onion and currants in a slow cooker. Lay the sausages over the vegetables. In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, honey, beer, peppercorns, and salt. Pour mixture evenly over the contents of the cooker. Cook on low for 6 hours. Serve hot.

Serves 4-5

No comments: