Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Red Cabbage & Brussels Sprout Slaw

I was very hesitant, at first, when I saw this recipe at 101 cookbooks. The idea of eating raw brussels sprouts somehow didn't appeal to me, and eating raw brussels sprouts isn't necessarily the healthiest option either. So, I really wasn't interested.

Then, in planning my daughter's bird-themed birthday party, I thought, "Hey, I need some kind of slaw that looks like a nest and has caraway seeds, but I don't want to make a run-of-the-mill cole slaw." So, I thought I'd give raw brussels sprouts a whirl. The rest of this salad doesn't resemble the one from 101 cookbooks at all, but I nonetheless stole the idea, so I'll give credit where it's due.

Given that brussels sprouts really are better, and better for you, eaten cooked, I think you could just as easily substitute green cabbage or napa cabbage, and no one would object. Those little buggers are also a real pain to slice, and they're seriously more expensive than other types of cabbage. So, why go out of your way to eat raw brussels sprouts? I can't think of a reason. Make it whatever way works, I say.

Red Cabbage & Brussels Sprout Slaw (aka Birdie Slaw)
1/2 lb. brussels sprouts, shredded (very thinly sliced with a knife)
1 small red cabbage, shredded
2 carrots, shredded
1/2 oz. chives, cut into 2 inch pieces
1/4 cup caraway seeds
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsps stoneground mustard
salt & pepper, to taste

Toss brussels sprouts, red cabbage, carrots, chives and caraway seeds in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together olive oil, cider vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Pour dressing over slaw, and toss well. Serve cold or room temperature. Will keep in the fridge for a few days, but best served one day after preparation.

Serves 10 as a side dish.

No comments: