Monday, February 9, 2009

Butternut Squash & Noodles

This is a recipe I've made for many years, and I loved it when I was able to make it as spicy as I like it. Now, with children, I'm at a little bit of a loss. My daughter has more tolerance for heat than many children, but she's not happy about full-on, in-your-face fire. It still tastes good, but it's not as flavorful as it used to be. I'm hoping that in a few years, we'll be able to bring back the heat.

One of the best things about this recipe is that it's already healthy and needs very little tweaking. I make the recipe mostly as is. The only changes I make are these:

- replace the olive oil with safflower - olive oil's flavor does not go with the rest of the ingredients
- use homemade veggie stock
- omit the jalapeno (didn't do this pre-babes)
- use 1/2 tsp. red curry paste (didn't do this either pre-babes)
- use whole grain udon noodles
- add 1/2 c. chopped, toasted cashew nuts at the end
- use stainless steel pan, instead of nonstick

No comments: