Wednesday, February 11, 2009

This Week's Shopping List

I'm very happy with my menu for the week. I look at it and drool ... can't wait to start cooking (in about 15 minutes)! Maybe it's the Bison that's making me ga-ga. After all, it's red meat, and I can't seem to kick that craving.

So, here it is, the week's mouth-watering menu:

Lunch: Baked mac n cheese with cauliflower, cilantro and tomato sauce

Dinner:
- Grilled salmon with Spicy Soy Glaze over coconut brown rice and steamed bok choy
- Bison fajitas with grilled peppers and onions, guacamole and tomato salsa
- Baked tofu fried rice with peas, carrots, and broccoli


The shopping list for all this scrumptious stuff goes like this (* indicates non-organic):
cauliflower
shallots
lime
bok choy
cilantro
avocado
jalapeno
tomatoes
red onion
garlic
broccoli* (1.29 sale)
red pepper
green pepper
bananas
pears
whole wheat crackers
kamut/quinoa twist pasta
rolled oats
cereal* (2/$6 sale)
whole wheat pasta (4/$5 sale)
cheese
milk
plain yogurt
safflower oil*
bison steaks* (2.99/12 oz. sale)
orange juice* (1.49 sale)
seltzer* (3/$1 sale)
tortillas
baked tofu

Once again, I bought everything on the list. I must be on a lucky streak! My husband keeps telling me I ought to play the lottery ... maybe I should!

I bought a couple of extra items that were on sale at the health food store: brown sugar and whole grain udon noodles. As it happens, they also had quite an assortment of cauliflower - white, purple and orange. I'd never seen orange cauliflower before, so I went ahead and bought that. It was a little smaller than the white, and a little cheaper. I'll post about how that works out for the mac n cheese I'm making this week.

The grand total for the week came to $96.88, which is $25.62 below the weekly budget. That brings the deficit down to $23. Woo hoo! I wish I could say that we'd be back in black by next week, but that may not be the case. Next week, we have a co-op order, and although I'm not anticipating any big spending, we may be at or around our weekly budget next week. The week after, we should finally get our heads above water. Holiday madness will finally be behind us! I can almost taste it!

No comments: